If you dispute an item in your credit report, and the credit reporting agency refuses to correct it, there are additional steps you can take to remedy the problem.

(Learn more about disputing items on your credit report in your   Cleaning Up Your Credit Report   topic area.) 

Why the CRA Might Not Correct Your Credit Report

You have a right to dispute any inaccuracies in your credit report. Once you dispute an item in your report, the credit reporting agency (CRA) has a duty to either delete the information or further investigate the matter and then report back to you. (To learn how to dispute an item and the CRA’s duty to respond, see   How to Correct Errors in Your Credit Report.) 

Sometimes the credit reporting agency will respond that the creditor reporting the information verified its accuracy and completeness, and that the information will remain in your file. 

What to Do if the CRA Doesn’t Correct Your Report

If this happens, and you still believe the information is inaccurate or incomplete, you will need to take more aggressive action to clean up your credit report. This may be frustrating and time-consuming.

Here are some ideas to help you in your efforts to fix your credit report.

Contact the Creditor or Debt Collector Directly

Contact the creditor or bill collector associated with the incorrect information and demand that it tell the credit reporting agency to remove the information. Write to the president or CEO. (You can use Nolo’s   Letter to Creditor to Request Removal of Incorrect Information   to do this.)

If you already contacted the creditor directly, it does not have to deal with this dispute again, unless you supply more information. However, if you escalate your complaint because you believe the dispute was not properly investigated, and you demonstrate a strong basis for your belief, the furnisher is likely to respond.

If the creditor is local, pay a visit. Sit down in the office of the customer service department, vice president of marketing, or president or CEO. Stay until someone agrees to meet with you and hear your problem. Remember: You have the right to demand attention; if this creditor has verified incorrect information, that incorrect information should be removed from your credit report.

If you get a letter from the creditor agreeing that the information is incorrect and should be removed from your credit file,send a copy of the creditor’s letter to the credit reporting agency.

If a creditor cannot or will not assist you in removing the incorrect information, call the credit reporting agency directly.Credit reporting agencies have toll-free numbers to handle consumer disputes about incorrect items in their credit files that are not removed through the normal reinvestigation process. (To find the contact information for Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion, see The Three Nationwide Credit Reporting Agencies.)

File a Complaint About the Credit Reporting Agency

You can file a complaint about a credit reporting agency with the Federal Trade Commission using its online form. Go towww.ftccomplaintassistant.gov. You can also contact the FTC by phone (at 877-382-4357) or by mail (at FTC Consumer Response Center, CRC-240, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580).

File a Complaint About the Creditor

If the creditor that furnished the incorrect or incomplete information fails to correct it or advise the credit reporting agency of a correction, or if it advises the credit reporting agency of the correction, but then reports the erroneous information again later, you can file a complaint either with the FTC (see above) or, if the creditor is a financial institution, with the federal agency that oversees that type of financial institution. The new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau oversees many types of financial agencies, so you might be able to file a complaint there. Visit its website at   www.consumerfinance.gov   and click on Submit a Complaint.

If you are not sure which agency to contact, start with the FTC -- it will likely forward your complaint to the correct agency.

Generally, these government agencies will not represent you individually, but they may send an inquiry to the company, and if there are enough complaints or other evidence of wrongdoing by the company, they may take legal action against the company.

Complain to Your State Consumer Protection Agency

Some states have laws that apply to credit reporting agencies or creditors furnishing information to these agencies. File a complaint with your state’s attorney general or consumer protection agency.

Consider Suing the Credit Reporting Agency

If you were seriously harmed, for example,   the CRA continued to give out incomplete or inaccurate information after you requested corrections, consider suing. The FCRA lets you sue a credit reporting agency for negligent or willful noncompliance with the law within two years after you discover the agency’s harmful behavior or within five years after the harmful behavior occurs, whichever is sooner.

You can sue for “actual damages,” including court costs, attorney’s fees, lost wages, and, if applicable, defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress. In the case of truly outrageous behavior, you can recover “punitive damages” meant to punish malicious or willful conduct. Under the FCRA, the court decides the amount of the punitive damages.

Consider Suing the Creditor

You might consider suing the creditor   that supplied the inaccurate information. However, these types of lawsuits are complicated, and the FCRA provides creditors with many ways to avoid liability. You will need to consult a lawyer if you want to pursue this type of lawsuit.

Contact Your Congressional Representative or Senator

After all, they are the ones that write the laws and need to know when there are problems with the laws or their enforcement. Your congressperson can also can call the FTC and ask it to investigate.

If All Fails, Consider Adding an Explanatory Statement.

You can always submit a brief statement explaining the inaccuracy in your report. The credit reporting agency has to include it in your report. To learn more, see   Adding Explanatory Statements to Credit Reports.

Sign-Up |

Services & Home Study Products

Seasoned Tradeline Links

Credit Profile Number Links

What You Should Know

Fighting the Credit Agencies Mean; You have to Stand Up Against Them!

credit profile number information | about us | disclaimer | user agreement | legal cpn guarantee | contact us | purchase athorized user primary tradelines | purchase cpn numbers | cpn credit business credit ebook information | piggybacking tradelines | ftc adding seasoned tradelines to improve credit score | fico will keep scoring authorized user accounts | results of fico 08 on authorized users | federal reserve bank rules in favor of authorized user tradelines | advantages of being a authorized user | piggybacking beats FICO | how to build credit by adding authorized user tradelines | how can adding authorized user tradelines affect my credit score | how many hard pull credit pulls is bad for my credit | authorized user tradeline scams | authorized user tradeline scam schemers gets arrested | buying a better credit score with athorized users tradelines | primary tradelines are a scam and a instant trip to jail | obtaining a new cpn credit file | how to create an alternate credit file | why or how to get a new credit profile or a new ssn number | Setting up a new cpn business profile | how to create a new credit file for your company | irs reasons for you needing a new ein | the fico beacon score scam | credit report errors hurting fico clients | complain then sue the credit reporting agency | 6 steps to sueing a credit bureau | what not to do with your cpn number | social security numbers will be replaced by modern more secure identifiers | new laws limit the use of ssn numbers | db pay to play scam | dunn and bradstreet phone and scare tactics | the fico hoax home study guild | experian credit agency scams | seasoned tradeline fico business credit videos

Site Map